Henning, Keedy & Lee
"Your Family's Law Firm"


Can the Insurance Company Do That?

I told you about Medpay insurance and why it might come in handy for you.  I also told you about UIM and UM.

Despite these great insurance provisions, I find that some people who need to and can file one of these claims are hesitant do so.  “Why ask my own insurance company to pay for it?  They’ll raise my rates!”

If they do, by “surcharging” or issuing “points” to you for making a claim against your auto policy if you weren’t at fault for the accident, they are in violation of Montana law.  Check out Montana Code Annotated 33-18-201(10).

If your rates went up after you made a MedPay or UM/UIM claim, you should write to your insurance company and ask for a written reason why – you might get a nice surprise and refund.

About the Author

Rebecca RutzRebecca “Becky” Henning-Rutz graduated from the University of Montana with her law degree in 2006 and has been working in Kalispell ever since. Becky has been working as an associate for Henning, Keedy & Lee since 2007.View all posts by Rebecca Rutz →

Disclaimer: This website is intended to be used only for educational purposes, to give you a general understanding of the law and is not intended to provide specific legal advice to any situation. Laws vary from state to state and the information contained in this website addresses only Montana law, unless otherwise noted. Legal issues are varied and complex and this website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from an attorney in your state. If you have a specific questions regarding your situation, please call an attorney. None of the information contained on this website creates an attorney-client privilege.

%d bloggers like this: